19 Dec Penne Pasta in a Creamy Sherry Tomato Sauce
My mom’s side is Italian so I did grow up on a lot of Italian style dishes including lots of pasta! I have a pretty big weakness for pasta. Especially when it’s dosed in a rich and creamy sauce.
For this dish, I created a luxuriously rich sauce using tomato puree, spices, heavy cream, and a secret ingredient – sherry! I used Oloroso sherry which helps elevate the flavors. I chose Oloroso sherry because it has a slightly nutty flavor to it which adds a little richness to the dish.
Not only do I love using sherry in my dishes but I also like enjoying a glass alongside my dinner! For Oloroso, I like to serve it slightly chilled. If you have different sets of wine glasses for red and white then I would recommend using a white wine glass.
When I serve heavy tomato based pasta dishes like this, I also like to top the bowl with a few dollops of fresh ricotta cheese!
Scroll on down below for the full recipe.
*Post sponsored by Sherry Wines. Recipe and opinions are my own :).
Penne Pasta in a Creamy Sherry Tomato Sauce
By December 19, 2017Published:
My mom's side is Italian so I did grow up on a lot of Italian style dishes including lots of pasta! I have a pretty big weakness for …
- 1 1 lb box penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
- 1/2 cup Oloroso Sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- red pepper flakes to taste
- fresh parsley for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions on box. Drain and set aside.
- Chop onion and garlic, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to turn translucent (3-5 minutes). Add in oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute. Add in the can of tomato puree and let simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in the sherry and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the cream. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cooked pasta and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Divide the pasta evenly into 4 separate bowls. Top each bowl with a few small dollops of ricotta cheese. Top with red pepper flakes and parsley if desired. Enjoy!
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress